Tse’K’Wa (Charlie Lake Cave)Receive updates for this collection
Tse’K’wa, formerly known as Charlie Lake Cave, has been visited by people for more than 12,000 years, and this site now preserves a record of human activity that starts with some of the first people to live in the Peace River region, when the last ice age was coming to an end, and concludes with the construction of the Alaska Highway in the 1940’s.
The archaeological research at the site has been published in many places that are not easily accessible to members of the general public. For the modern First Nations people whose ancestors lived at Tse’K’Wa this is particularly problematic. Working in collaboration with the Treaty 8 Tribal Association (B.C.), who recently purchased the land on which Tse’K’Wa is located, we intend to make the results accessible and understandable to the general reader. Thanks to the good will of many publishers, we are able to reproduce articles in digital and print form, and to preface each publication with a short summary.
Archaeological excavations at Tse’K’Wa were undertaken by Simon Fraser University in 1983 (director: Knut Fladmark) and 1990 and 1991 (co-directors: Knut Fladmark and Jon Driver). Research on materials recovered during these excavations has continued to the present day.
Users of these publications should be aware that information and interpretations have changed over time. For example, we have acquired more radiocarbon dates through the years, we changed our interpretation of the stratigraphy after the 1991 season, and we have analyzed more and more material as the years have gone by.
Jon Driver, Department of Archaeology, Simon Fraser University